BIG members! We have a new nutrition challenge starting October 1 and continuing through November 18. Never about ‘diets’ because diets don’t work, nutrition challenges are about examining current eating habits and establishing new nutrition goals. This specific challenge is based on using estimated lean body mass (LBM) to maintain or build muscle. I will:
- Estimate your lean body mass through 9 site skinfold testing on Saturday, September 30. Note. Measures are OPTIONAL. Sign-up is at BIG and available in 15 minute increments. If you are not available on September 30, we can get the measurements next week (must be before a WOD vs. after) or the week of October 2.
- Provide you with a tailored eating plan based on your LBM on September 30, so sign up! The metrics for meeting this challenge are:
- Establishing measurable nutrition goals (5 points).
- Hitting targets for protein and other nutrient-dense foods (1 point/day or 49 points total) and consistency. You must turn in your food log to me weekly by the end of day Monday to get the points for the previous week. Consistency counts, so don’t get all of your points in the first 3 weeks. Since the goal is progress not perfection, I will also award points for people who are not hitting targets, but making measurable progress!
- Winning the weekly photo contest (5 points each week)! By inspiring others with a photo of a plate of food that you made, assembled, or ordered or a photo of your food prep or shopping cart etc., you can gain points! Coaches will judge photos on Composition (protein and plants), Color (at least 3 colors), and Creativity (keep it clean please!). Winners get bragging rights, provide inspiration to others, and are featured in my weekly blog!
- Give everyone a one week eating plan with recipes for each meal and snack.
- Offer weekly feedback on your intake log.
It is about progress not perfection and muscles! So, join the challenge!
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
See BIG for the Nutrition Challenge Sign-up. Challenge begins October 1! Any questions? Contact me at [email protected]