We are in week three of a 10 week effort to build a few small nutrition habits and drop some bad ones. This week, I am asking everyone to take sides….delicious and nutrient-dense sides to your Memorial Day gathering. Which habit are we trying to build? Communities that value and support nutrient-dense eating. If you don’t already have plans to, why not share one of the following yummy, nutrient-dense, easy to make, and beautiful sides!
- Deviled Eggs
- Tomato, Cucumber, and Red Onion Salad with Mint
- Spanish Style Grilled Vegetables with Bread Crumbs (bread crumbs can be omitted or use whole grain bread)
- Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette, Capers, and Basil
- Smashed Fingerlings with Jalapeños
- Summer Fruit Salad with Mint Sugar
During weeks one and two we began working on these habits. Keep up the good work!
- First habit to build: Drink at least ¾ of your beverages as plain water each day.
- First habit to break: Eat ½ the amount of sweets per week that you typically eat now.
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
If you have an idea for a nutrition habit that you recommend building, email me, at